EPSRC CDT in Sustainable Chemistry offers a four-year programme designed to equip the students with a comprehensive set of skills required for a career in academia and industry.
The first year of CDT programme is designed to provide the students with high-level foundation training involving formal lectures, workshops, technical and lab skills training and transferrable skills training.
During their first year on the programme the students will, supported by the CDT staff and academics from the fields of Chemistry, Engineering and Biosciences, develop their main research project. They will produce a comprehensive literature review, research project proposal, present the proposal to a panel of experts, undertake a mini research project, (feasibility study) and write a project report.
Our first year training involves the following areas:
- Introduction to Sustainability
- Energy and Feedstocks
- Sustainable Synthesis Chemical and Biological Approaches
- Advanced Structural Analysis
- Creative Problem Solving
- Chemistry in Silico
- From Bench to the Bank 1
- Sustainability in Action
- Innovation and Technology Transfer
- Innovation and Society
Training courses and workshops:
- Engineering for Scientists
- Process Design and Life Cycle Analysis
- Professional/transferable skills
- Writing a Research Proposal
- From Proposal to Pitch
- Effective Presentations
- CDT/DTP Professional Skills Module
- Outreach and Science Communication
- Professional skills courses offered by the Graduate School
Wednesday Afternoon Sessions
Facilitated sessions involving talks, workshops and networking opportunities with academics from different disciplines, industrial partners and members of professional organisations.
The first year assessment involves the following stages:
- Literature review
- Project proposal
- Proposal presentation
- Mini research project
- Project report
- Project viva